Citizens of the civil internet abide by these values:
- Objective Truth
- Careful empirical observation
- Destructive sarcasm
- Mindless humor/entertainment
- Malicious humor/entertainment
- Cryptic brevity
- Baseless claims
- The golden rule.
- Don’t tear people down.
- Don’t be proud.
- Don’t be righteous or smug.
- Don’t force perfection, strive to be fair and sympathetic to other perspectives.
- Less is more. Make screen time effective, not addictive. The internet should support human endeavors, not become the endeavor itself.
- When anger arises, step back. Convert this into meticulous and humble objective argument. Silence is a fine response in the interim.
Most humans are good, meaning, respectful of the golden rule. Most humans who aren’t have the capacity to independently discover why being good is important. Most humans want to be well and would prefer if everyone around them was well too. The internet is perfectly capable of facilitating this more than it does today.
Take the Pledge
Leave a comment showing support below, link to this value page from your own site/profile, or both!